Eyes as Art
By Anna Setterlund
You’ve heard the saying before probably a hundred times…
But have you ever stopped and thought about the statement? We go through our lives visually capturing thousands of moments and yet forget so quickly the wonder of our eyes!
Artists have captured details so thoughtfully and creatively distinct to their interpretation; you and your eyes are just as distinct and original. You see, the eye when viewed by a digital image shows your blood vessels and optic nerves which act as a thumbprint to your eye health. The only reason for change in that print is due to systemic medical conditions. A person with cardiovascular problems taking medication may have enlarged or irregular blood vessels that can be graphed and monitored as they change patterns and size. Not only is it strictly viewable with digital imaging, it is the only place in the body those vessels are viewable without surgery. So, the eyes are the window of the soul AND a window to your health!
Next time Picasso or a local artist is in town, ask them if they’d like to use you as a muse, seeing as your eyes are the most beautiful around! Check out some of the ways to keep your eyes ready for their artistic impressions.
Eat your Veggies and a well rounded diet:
- Green leafy vegetables like spinach, kale, and collards
- Salmon, tuna, and other oily fish
- Eggs, nuts, beans, and other non meat protein sources
Wear your Sunglasses:
- Protect your eyes from harmful UV rays with a good pair of shades
- Too much UV exposure boosts your chances of cataracts and macular degeneration
- Don’t forget your children! 80% of sun damage is done before the age of 18
- Many people don’t realize that smoking can lead to vision loss
- Increased risk of Age-related Macular Degeneration, Cataracts, Glaucoma, Diabetic Retinopathy and Dry Eye Syndrome.